Get to know us
eyeo is an open-source software company that builds products like Adblock Plus, Adblock Browser and Flattr. By leveraging distribution partnerships, we bring ad-blocking technology everywhere, giving users control over their online experience while offering creators, publishers and advertisers more ways to earn money for the free content they provide.
In combining our reach based on distribution partnerships and our own products, our technology runs on over 150 million devices.
At eyeo, we’re passionate about user agency, personal privacy, sustainability and keeping the web an open, fair resource for everyone.
How we work
eyeo colleagues are based all over the world. We practice agile and work in distributed, cross-functional teams that span nearly every timezone. Many of our tech teams prefer to work asynchronously.
What you'll do
With your knowledge of automation and creative mindset, you will analyze problems and take the driver’s seat in designing and building elegant solutions to block disruptive ads, while gathering insights about the mechanics of ad delivery systems and trackers. You'll work with the “Filters Development and Analysis” team to provide services around the “backbone” of ad blocking to different teams and stakeholders.
After your morning coffee, you'll be expected to...
- Develop large scale solutions for automated crawling of web content and monitoring of ads to assess ad-blocking quality.
- Work on tooling to ensure the quality of filter lists.
- “Connect the dots” to identify the need for new internal services, bring new ideas to the team and drive their implementation.
- Create, maintain, and improve technical processes, including tooling and documentation
- Stay on top of the latest academic research on ad blocking and privacy and design experiments to advance our knowledge in the area.
- Communicate and align with your colleagues to make sure everybody is on the same page.
What you bring to the table...
- 4+ years in an automation, back-end engineering or similar role, primarily Node.js with experience using containers
- Ability to drive technically complex projects
- Strong attention to detail
- A role model to less-experienced team mates when it comes to technical expertise and code quality
- Experience with agile methodologies
- Proficient user of spoken and written English
It's awesome, but not required, if you know about...
- A university degree (incl. Applied sciences) in Information Science or related
- Experience with deploying, testing and maintaining your own project on cloud platforms
- Knowledge of additional scripting languages
- Experience with multi-lingual/multi-cultural teams
- Experience with machine learning
What we offer
- Work from home or one of our offices —we trust you to find what works best for you
- Stipend for one of the following: home office, co-working space, or relocation
- Flexible working hours
- 28 days paid vacation days
- Your choice of hardware and setup
- Personal and professional development budget
- Monthly childcare stipend for children under 6
- Offsite team days and annual summer company retreat in Cologne
- Company-sponsored hackathons
A little bit about the team you’ll work with
At the core of ad filtering are filter lists, and at the core of filter lists is the Filter Development and Analysis team. Our job is to stay one step ahead of competition and make sure eyeo has the most accurate and efficient ad filtering technology in the world. We’re proud to unite people from diverse backgrounds in our cross-functional teams. We all have our niche expertise areas and projects we work on, and that means we can support each other if somebody gets stuck with an issue. Join us if you want to become part of a great team that makes a difference in the web ecosystem.