Senior Data Engineer - Berlin, Cologne, Remote
Get to know us
eyeo is an open source software company whose market-leading ad-filtering technology powers products like Adblock Plus, Adblock and Adblock Browser, and whose privacy-first products like Crumbs promote transparency and an improved browsing experience. eyeo is dedicated to giving users control of their online experience while fostering a sustainable online value exchange to offer creators, publishers and advertisers more ways to earn money for the content they provide.
In combining our reach of distribution partnerships and our own products, our technology runs on over 225 million devices.
At eyeo, we’re passionate about user agency, personal privacy, sustainability and keeping the web an open, fair resource for everyone.
How we work
eyeo has colleagues based all over the world. We practice agile and work in distributed, cross-functional teams that span nearly every timezone. Many of our tech teams prefer to work asynchronously.
What we're looking for
We’re now looking for a Senior Data Engineer to join our Data team, which plays a key role as part of eyeo’s platforms and infrastructure foundation. As a Senior Data Engineer at eyeo you are responsible for the delivery of your team, enabling productive and sustainable ways-of-working, and for ensuring that the team has sound engineering practices and a technology strategy that supports delivering business value.
To be able to challenge and grow your team, we believe that a solid background in data engineering and software development is important. We’re a growing organization so you need to be comfortable creating clarity for yourself and your team, even in a changing environment.
What you'll do
- Collaborate with the team’s Product Manager in building a high performing, happy team, that continuously improve and deliver value to other teams across the entire company
- Support and grow your engineers, through hiring, onboarding, mentoring, coaching, and feedback
- Build a sustainable engineering and team culture that is collaborative, inclusive, respectful and in line with eyeo’s core values
- Encourage and empower your team by celebrating the learnings and successes of your team and people
- Maintain a balance between building sustainable, high-quality technology and solving problems quickly and timely to support the business
- Facilitate necessary technical and architectural discussions and decision making within the team and across teams
- Ensure the engineers in your team have the right skills, processes and tools to deliver and release predictably against business goals
- Together with the team and the Product Manager, Influence and drive the overall data strategy, and its implementation, across eyeo
- Collaborate with stakeholders in setting and executing our technical strategies
What you bring to the table...
- You have proven experience in leading data engineering teams
- Experience with continuous improvement and agile software development processes and practices
- Experience in recruiting and hiring engineering talent, combined with bringing new starters up to speed
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- A data engineering background that allows you to establish credibility with your team and support them
- You’re passionate about software engineering best practices and love to have an impact on large-scale tech problems
- Experience with cloud computing applied to data engineering (e.g. with GCP, AWS or Azure)
- Within CET±3 hours or willing to relocate into CET±3 hours
It's awesome, but not required, if you know have:
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Experience in multiple programming languages, including Python and Golang
- Experience with ETL-like tools (e.g. Airflow, Luigi)
- Experience with open source software development
- Experience with Data visualization tools, especially open source ones
- Understanding how browsers and web servers work
- Understanding of User Privacy Topics
What we offer
- Work from home or one of our offices —we trust you to find what works best for you
- Stipend for the following: home office and/or relocation
- Flexible working hours
- 28 days paid vacation + Volunteer day
- Your choice of hardware and setup
- Personal and professional development budget
- Monthly child care stipend for children under 6
- Offsite team days and the annual summer company retreat in Cologne
- Company-sponsored hackathons