Senior IT Administrator - Berlin, Cologne
Get to know us
eyeo is an open source software company whose market-leading ad-filtering technology powers products like Adblock Plus and AdBlock as well as technical integrations for leading browsers on the market. Our privacy-first products like Crumbs promote transparency and an improved browsing experience. eyeo is dedicated to giving users control of their online experience while fostering a sustainable online value exchange between content creators, publishers, advertisers and users.
In combining our User Growth partnerships and our subsidiary products, our technology reaches 250 million monthly active users.
At eyeo, we’re passionate about user agency, personal privacy and sustainability as well as keeping the web an open, fair resource for everyone.
How we work
eyeo has colleagues based all over the world. We love our diversity and our company culture. We practice an agile, remote workstyle with work distributed in cross-functional teams that span nearly every timezone. Many of our tech teams prefer to work asynchronously. If working remotely isn’t for you, we also have two offices (Cologne and Berlin) that you can choose to work from. Twice a year we come together with our teams for Team Days and once a year we offer an offsite company retreat, Summer Week. By offering remote work and in-person sessions, we have built a hybrid culture that offers a unique dynamic of flexibility and belonging.
What you'll do
We have a very diverse team with different nationalities, the spoken language is English. The team consists of 8 people and is growing. As a Senior IT System administrator, you and the team will be responsible for maintaining the company's IT inventory, like hard/software, network, servers and security systems. This role is absolutely essential within any organization to ensure business continuity – if an IT network fails, the impact on the day-to-day running of the business can be significant, sometimes catastrophic.
To ensure this doesn’t happen, you and the team will be responsible for investigating and diagnosing network problems, collecting IT usage stats, making recommendations for improving the company's IT systems and carrying out routine configuration and installation of IT solutions.
With our rotation schedule you might be called upon to help colleagues with more basic IT needs. This will mean you’ll need to share your knowledge to help others, explaining to them in a way from which they understand.
As the IT industry changes so rapidly, it is expected to keep yourself always up-to-date. eyeo wants you to be knowledgeable about all the latest developments, which may involve courses or self-tuition through manuals and information supplied by IT or software companies.
Hours and environment
You’ll find most IT-Administrators work between 9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday, but you may need to work out of office hours when needed. Often this would be to fix a technical problem, carry out maintenance work or upgrade the system, which can’t be easily done during office hours. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, talk or hear. The employee must be able to lift and/or move up to 20 kg. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this role.
After your morning routine, you'll be expected to...
- Troubleshoot software and hardware issues on various devices (such as PCs, Macs and mobiles)
- Install, support and maintain user accounts, profiles, file sharing, access privileges and security
- Install, support and maintain both physical and virtual network servers and appliances
- Install, support and maintain networking issues, configure networking infrastructure and services (such as video conferencing)
- Plan and improve conference room setups
- Provide A/V tech support at live events hosted by eyeo
- Provide excellent service as the focal technical operations point for the eyeo office employees and managers
- Research issues online to provide swift solutions
- Perform system backups and recovery as needed
- Maintain data files and monitor system configuration to ensure data integrity (Tech)
- Work closely with all the teams in fixing issues and initiating improvements
What you bring to the table...
- Minimum 3-5 years professional work experience
- Experience working in an open Team where everybody thinks
- Able to research and solve problems on their own
- Experience troubleshooting Windows, Linux, Mac-related issues
- Experience troubleshooting network issues
- Experience in maintaining and troubleshooting Jira / Confluence / Salesforce
- Knowledge of Google Workspace
- Track record of being detail-oriented with a demonstrated ability to self motivate and follow-through on projects
- Ability to take initiative and work with minimal supervision
- Ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical individuals
- Prioritize requests, organize, schedule, and coordinate a variety of activities and projects
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with all those contacted during the course of work
- Working experience with online video conferencing solutions
- Great service and social attitude
- Positive and enthusiastic, always willing to work to solve issues
It's awesome if you have...
- Knowledge of video conferencing systems hardware
- Interest in audio / video equipment
- Experience working with remote teams
- Experience in maintaining and troubleshooting Mattermost
- Knowledge of IT Procurement and Licensing
- Experience in maintaining and troubleshooting Univention
What we offer
- Work remotely or from one of our offices —we trust you to find what works best for you
- Budget for the following: home office and/or relocation
- Flexible working hours
- 28 days paid vacation + Volunteer day
- Your choice of hardware and setup
- Personal and professional development budget
- Monthly child care allowance for children under 6
- Offsite team days and the annual summer company retreat
- Company-sponsored hackathons
- Monetization: https://adblockplus.org/blog/acceptable-ads-explained-monetization
- eyeo in the news: https://eyeo.com/press/
- Blog updates: https://eyeo.com/blog/
- Life at eyeo: https://eyeo.com/careers/working-at-eyeo
- The team at eyeo: https://eyeo.com/team
- Open Source repository: https://github.com/adblockplus, https://gitlab.com/eyeo