Engineering Lead - Anti-Circumvention - Berlin, Cologne, Remote
Get to know us
eyeo is an open source software company whose market-leading ad-filtering technology powers products like Adblock Plus, Adblock and Adblock Browser, and whose privacy-first products like Crumbs promote transparency and an improved browsing experience. eyeo is dedicated to giving users control of their online experience while fostering a sustainable online value exchange to offer creators, publishers and advertisers more ways to earn money for the content they provide.
In combining our reach of distribution partnerships and our own products, our technology runs on over 225 million devices.
At eyeo, we’re passionate about user agency, personal privacy, sustainability and keeping the web an open, fair resource for everyone.
How we work
We develop our software in cross-functional teams, each owning a mission and the corresponding implementation within our products. We’re a remote friendly company, some colleagues work from our offices in Cologne, Berlin or Malmö, while others work from their homes, all over the world. We embrace agile principles and practices and use a mix of synchronous and asynchronous tools to make our communication and collaboration enjoyable, inclusive and effective.
Key ingredients in the success of our teams are clarity of purpose, mastery of skill and a feeling of ownership of both the technology and what this technology enables for our customers and users. This does not happen magically. Our Engineering Leads manage the engineers and engineering processes in their team to create that feeling of pride and, critically, develop the skills and careers of the engineers in that team.
What you'll do
As an Engineering lead at eyeo your primary responsibility is to the people you support: ensuring they are growing as engineers, doing valuable work and have what they need to be successful at eyeo. You are also responsible for the delivery of your team, enabling productive and sustainable ways-of-working, and for ensuring that the team has sound engineering practices and a technology strategy that supports delivering business value.
As a lead for strong engineers, technical leadership and a solid background in software development is a must, so that you’re able to challenge and grow your team members. You'll have the opportunity to influence the culture, facilitate technical delivery and work with your team on strategy and execution. We’re a growing organization so you need to be comfortable creating clarity for yourself and your team, even in a changing environment.
After your morning coffee, you'll be expected to...
- Collaborate with the Agile Coaches and the team’s Product Manager in building a high performing, happy team, that continuously improve and deliver value to our customers
- Support and grow your engineers, through hiring, onboarding, mentoring, coaching, feedback and hands-on career development
- Build a sustainable, inclusive engineering and team culture that is collaborative, inclusive, and respectful and in line with eyeo’s core values.
- Encourage, empower, and celebrate the learnings and successes of your team and people.
- Maintain a balance between building sustainable, thoroughly tested, high-quality technology, releasing things quickly and running safe-to-fail experiments
- Facilitate necessary technical and architectural discussions and decision making within the team and across teams
- Ensure the engineers in your team have the right skills, processes and tools to deliver and release predictably against business goals
- Contribute to and implement the overall technical strategy of the unit and of eyeo
- Collaborate with other leads of the company and unit in setting and executing strategy
- Last, but not least - not afraid to dive into the code and get your hands dirty with active development from time to time, esp. in the first couple of months.
What you bring to the table...
- You have experience in managing and leading software engineering teams
- Experience with continuous improvement and Agile software development, particularly in collaboration with product
- You have experience recruiting and hiring engineering talent, combined with bringing new starters up to speed
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- A software engineering background and JS expertise that allows you to establish credibility with your team and support them
- You’re passionate about software engineering best practices, especially w.r.t. quality and security, and love to have an impact on large-scale tech problems
- A thorough understanding of how the web works
It's awesome, but not required, if you know about...
- Experience in working with B2B2C software
- Experience with web standards
- Experience with browser and/or browser extension development
- Remote work experience
- Experience around collaborating with or even managing tech communities
What we offer
- Work from home or one of our offices —we trust you to find what works best for you
- Stipend for the following: home office and/or relocation
- Flexible working hours
- 28 days paid vacation + Volunteer day
- Your choice of hardware and setup
- Personal and professional development budget
- Monthly child care stipend for children under 6
- Offsite team days and the annual summer company retreat in Cologne
- Company-sponsored hackathons